Mister Obscure (Oracle Archer/Melee Build)
Class Selection: Fighter 1 / Oracle (Wave Revelation & Wasting Curse) 11
Theme: From second level on, you shot unseen from mist and take your enemies out with deadly arrows (Water Sight). Meanwhile, you are an Oracle with healing and buffing as options. You are also an effective melee front liner (through Oracle Spells and Mysteries). You are even an effective scout. This build is human and starts off with one level fighter to jump start the archery theme. After that, it is all Oracle class. This build outline stops are 12th level because that is when the theme of the build has been fully realized.
Stats (25 pt. build): Str (14); Dex (18); Con (14); Int (10); Wis (8); Chr (14).
Stats (20 pt. build): Str (12); Dex (18); Con (12); Int (10); Wis (10); Chr (14).
Stats (15 pt. build): Str (10); Dex (18); Con (10); Int (10); Wis (9); Chr (14).
- Note: +2 Human Stat Bonus was placed into Dexterity.
Stat Level Adjustment: At 4th, 8th, 16th and 20th level put one point into Dexterity. At 12th level, put one point into Chr. Buy a +2 Charisma Headband at 11th level and upgrade it to a +4 Charisma Headband at 15th level to keep you Charisma on pace with your spell casting. Why? Well, you need a Charisma equal to 10 + spell level to cast a spell of a certain spell level.
Campaign Traits: Slippery (+1 stealth & class skill); Eyes and Ears of Society (+1 perception & class skill). These make you into a great scout. Even without them (if your GM does not allow traits) you are still going to be a decent scout. How cool is an Oracle Scout?
Feat/Mystery Selection: F1) Precise Shot, Pt. Blank Shot, Rapid Shot; O2) Water Sight; O3) Deadly Aim; O4) Ice Armor; O5) Weapon Focus (Longbow); O7) Power Attack; O8) Water Form; O9) Manyshot; O11) Clustered Shots; O12) Wintery Touch
- Alternative Feat Selection 1: You could replace Precise Shot at first level with the human alternative trait Duel Talent (gives you an additional +2 to one trait). This would make your Dexterity 20 at first level. You would then pick up Precise Shot at level 3 and Deadly Aim at Level 5. You would forgo Weapon Focus. This route would make you a less effective archer for level 1-4, but an equally effective archer and all around more effective character (+1AC, +1 Dex Skills, +1 Reflex Save, +1 CMD, +1 Initiative) from level 5 on. If your campaign starts level 5 or above, definitely take this alternative option.
Skills (49 pts.): Stealth (10), Perception (12), Acrobatics (12), Escape Artist (12), Climb (3). Note that Oracle skills are horrible. Oracles are Charisma based characters that are given no Charisma based skills. Further, this is an archer build that synergizes nicely with scouting and acrobatics. Thus, this build forgoes Oracle class skills. Also note that Escape Artist synergizes well with the Liberating Command spell you will learn.
Spells Known: 1st) Obscuring Mist, Divine Favor, Cure Light, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Liberating Command, Air Bubble, Mystery Spell (Touch of Sea); 2nd) Weapon of Awe, Cure Moderate, Defending Bone, Resist Energy, Remove Paralysis, Silence, Instant Armor, Mystery Spell (Slip Stream); 3rd) Blessing of the Mole, Channel Vigor, Cure Serious, Invisibility Purge, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Remove Disease, Sky Swim, Mystery Spell (Water Breathing); 4th) Air Walk, Divine Power, Freedom of Movement, Greater Magic Weapon, Mystery Spell (Wall of Ice); 5th) Fickle Winds, Righteous Might, Mystery Spell (Geyser)
- Note 1: Touch of Sea and Sky Swim work well together. Also note that while spells like Divine Favor, Weapon of Awe and Divine Power can make you into a better Archer, this build can use those spells and Righteous Might to become a formidable Melee Fighter. These work well in conjunction with the Water Form mystery.
- Note 2: Obscuring Mist is this builds bread and butter spell.
- Note 3: This build has extra known spells because of the human alternate favorite class selection.
Items: +1 Adaptive, Corrosive, Shocking Longbow Comp (+2) (19k); +2 Greatsword (8K); + 2 Ring of Protection (8K); +2 Amulet of Natural Armor (8K), +2 Headband of Charisma (4K), +2 Belt of Dexterity/Strength (10K); Handy Haversack (2K); Efficient Quiver (1.8K); +3 Cloak of Resistance (9K); Rod of Extend Lesser (3K), Cloak of Elvenkind (2.5K); Boots of Elvenkind (2.5K); Wands & Scrolls – for low level spells you know, but that you don’t want to have to use your spell slots to cast all of the time; Whatever else since there is plenty of cash left over.
Longbow Composite Attack: +18 (two arrows) /+18/+13 (1d8 + 1d6 frost +1d6 shock +1d6 acid +15) – So, 30 points of damage per arrow on average. This attack array assumes that Mister Obscure is using rapid shot, point blank shot, divine favor spell, deadly aim, wintery touch and greater magic weapon. These are logical pre-buffs and/or automatic/free action feats, so he should find himself in such a position often.
- Note – He still has other tricks up his sleeve. The number one trick is casting Obscuring Mist and then shooting from the middle of it. He could pre-buff with Weapon of Awe for an additional +2 damage or Righteous Might to add more Strength Damage to the adaptive Composite Longbow. In times of serious competition, he could pre-buff with Channel of Vigor for a +4 on all ranged attacks or to gain haste. Finally, divine power spell can replace divine favor giving the same +3 to damage/attack while also giving you an extra attack each round. He uses his stealth to get the jump on foes allowing him to pre-buff and to even get a surprise round on occasion.
Greatsword Attack: +20/+15/+10 (2d6 + 20 + 1d6frost) – So, 31 points of damage per hit on average. This attack array assumes that Mister Obscure is using Divine Favor spell, Power Attack and Elemental Form (Water). These are logical pre-buffs and/or automatic/free action feats, so he should find himself in such a position often.
- Note 1: – In this pre-buff state, his AC is 34 using Ice Armor, Righteous Might and Elemental Form. His Constitution increases by 10 giving him an extra 60 hit points.
- Note 2: – He still has other tricks up his sleeve. The number one trick is casting Obscuring Mist and then shooting from the middle of it. He could pre-buff with Weapon of Awe for an additional +2 damage. Divine power spell can replace divine favor giving the same +3 to damage/attack while also giving you an extra attack each round.
- Note 3: – Fight in the mist. Hey, fighting in Obscuring Mist does not have to be limited to using your bow. In this form, you are large with reach, so smack them with an attack of opportunity without them knowing its coming. Those running up to you can’t charge you if they don’t know exactly where you are (no pouncing you). Even when they get five feet away from you they have a 20% miss chance.